We've all heard it: invest in basics and your wardrobe will be timeless. Never being at a loss for what to wear seems like a dream, but it's actually quite possible. Here at Martins, your number 1 source for women's Sperry sandals and boutique clothing, we've compiled a list of 6 wardrobe staples every woman should own so that you always know what to reach for when you open your closet.
1. Black pants. A sleek pair of black trousers with a flattering fit not only transcends trends, it is a master of multitasking.
2. A french-cuff dress shirt. Nothing elevates a pair of trousers, a skirt, or a suit like a classic French-cuff dress shirt. The simple upgrade of the cuffs adds elegance to an otherwise ordinary shirt and helps create a look that will feel as appropriate for pitching a new client as it does for hosting a casual Sunday brunch.
3. Black pumps. This perennial fashion favorite has withstood the test of time because it is the go-to shoe for day or night, jeans or trousers or skirts, dressy occasions or more casual events.
4. A day dress. A sophisticated shift is often the easiest and most appropriate choice for such semiformal festivities as luncheons, recitals, and afternoon bridal showers.
5. A dressy jacket. Wearing a dressy jacket is an effortless way to upgrade almost anything in your closet.
6. An evening clutch. While a daytime bag feels a bit cumbersome during evening festivities, you still need an option for nighttime that’s big enough to hold your essentials.